24 Flowers That Can Harm Your Pet

24 Flowers That Can Harm Your Pet

When spring and summer roles around it makes it the perfect opportunity to work on your garden by adding color by planting some beautiful flowers and plants. In addition, many people love to bring summer flowers inside to home just to add some color and brighten up the mood of the house.

What many pet owners do not realize is that some flowers and plants are extremely dangerous and toxic to animals. They can cause serious health issues which can lead to a coma or even death. This is why it is important to educate yourself as a pet owner to avoid deathly accidents.

You can still have a beautiful bright garden but just a garden that is pet friendly.

Here is a list of 24 flowers and plants that you want to avoid at all costs!

Poisonous Flowers:

  1. Tulips: the part of the tulip that is extremely toxic is the bulbs; this is because it contains a concentrated toxic. They can cause intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, hypersalivation, drooling and a lack of appetite.
  2. Hyacinth: contains toxins called lactones. They can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate and can cause your pet to experience difficulties breathing.
  3. Daffodils: the bulb of this plant is the most dangerous and toxic when consumed. The toxin that is present in this flower is called lycorine. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, low blood pressure and even seizures.
  4. Lilies: depends on the type of lily to determine how serious the symptoms can be. They can cause ulcers in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea and drooling.
  5. Crocus: with these particular flowers the signs of a toxic reaction are not immediate. However, your pet may experience vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gastro-intestinal disorders, lack of appetite, tremors or seizures.
  6. Easter Cactus: is extremely dangerous if your pet digested one. They can cause vomiting, diarrhea and depression. The Easter Cactus is even more dangerous towards cats.
  7. Crown of Thorns: is another flower that you do not want around your pet. They can cause vomiting and diarrhea. This flower has a white and milky sap inside of it and if your pet comes into contact with it, the sap can cause intense pain.
  8. Azalea: this plant if ingested generally causes mild to server symptoms, depending how much your pet has eaten. Some of the symptoms include, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, cardiovascular disorder, coma or death.
  9. Crocus: is a plant that is present during the spring and the autumn. However, it is important to note that the crocus plant is highly toxic during the autumn compared to the spring. Some of the symptoms include excessive drooling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, gastero-intsinal disorders, and loss of appetite, tremors or seizures.
  10. Rhododendron: if in contact with your pet this flower can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, weakness, coma, depression or death.
  11. American Bittersweet: contains a toxic poison called auonymin and sesquiterpene alkaloids that can make your pet to become ill. This plant can cause weakness, vomiting, and/or diarrhea in your pet.
  12. Foxglove: contains a toxin similar to digitalis or digoxin which is usually found in heart medication used in both humans and veterinary medicine. This plant can cause cardiac arrhythmias, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure and even death.
  13. Narcissus: contains a toxin called lycorine and other toxins too. This flower can cause vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias. The most toxic part of the flower is the bulbs.
  14. Morning Glory: contains lysergic acid, lysergamide, elymoclavine and chanoclavine which are extremely toxic for your pets. This flower can cause diarrhea, tremors, disorientation, ataxia and anorexia. However, the most toxic part of this flower is the seeds which can cause hallucinations.
  15. Aloe: is a plant that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors and change in urine color.
  16. Amaryllis: the most toxic part of the flower includes the leaves, stems and the bulbs which contain a toxin called phenanthridine. The symptoms that can occur include vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, drooling and tremors.
  17. Asparagus Fern: has a toxin called sapogenins which makes this plant so dangerous for plants. This flower can cause gastric upset, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
  18. Gypsophila Elegans: also known as baby’s breath contains a toxin called saponins. This flower can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
  19. Bird of Paradise: is a toxic plant for pets and contains a toxin called hydrocyanic acid. This plant can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing and incoordination. It is important to note that the most toxic part of the plant is the seeds.
  20. Buttercup: contains a toxin called protoanemonin which is why you want to make sure your pets stay clear of this flower. They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, drooling and/or a wobbly gait.
  21. Chrysanthemums: all parts of this plant are generally toxic towards pets. If your pet ingested this plant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and drooling.
  22. Cut Leaf Philodendron: is a toxic plant that can cause oral irritation, burning, drooling, vomiting and difficulties swallowing.
  23. Dieffenbachia: contains insoluble calcium oxalates and proteolytic enzymes which make this plant toxic towards your pet. The symptoms may include oral irritation, drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
  24. Milfoil: has toxins which include glycoalkaloids, monoterpenes and sesquiterpene lactones that causes your pet to become ill if eaten. Some of the symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depression and hyersalivation.

What Do you Do if your Pet Ingests a Toxic Plant?

If your pet happens to ingest a toxic plant it is suggested by many professionals to induce vomiting in order to get the toxins out of their body. Then it is important to contact the veterinarian and/or poison control center right away.

  • Pet Poison Helpline: 1.800.213.6680
  • ASPCA Poison Helpline: 1.888.426.4435