The Dangers Of Human Food To Dogs

Dangerous Human Food For Dogs

Once in while you want to treat or spoil your dog by adding something different to their meals. However, it is important to realize that some foods may seem harmless to you but might be poisonous to your pet.

It is important to recognize that some of your normal daily food that may be around your house can cause life-threatening illnesses even death if eaten by your dog.

Therefore, it is important to recognize what some foods are dangerous towards your dog.

Avocado

Avocado may seem like a delicious and harmless fruit to feed your dog however, it is actually the opposite because it is highly toxic to dogs.

The toxin that is present in this tropical fruit is Persin which is mostly found in the leaves, seeds and bark. Also there can be small traces of it in the fruit itself.

The large seed can also be a choking hazard for your dog. If swallowed you dog will have to go into emergency surgery to remove the large seed out of his or hers body.

Alcohol

Alcohol maybe an enjoyable treat for some humans; however, for your dog it can be lethal. Just a small amount of alcohol can cause vomiting, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, coma and even death.

In addition, with often exposure it can cause brain and liver damage too. Smaller dogs are at greater risk because they just need a drop to have the negative effects of alcohol. This is why it is important to keep alcohol hidden or put away into hard to reach places.

Onions & Garlic

Onions and garlic in any form and any amount can be poisoning towards your dog. If it is given accidentally in a small dose is not life threatening but it is important to avoid it at all times.

Onions and garlic destroy the dog’s red blood cells which lead into anemia. It can cause weakness, vomiting and breathlessness.

Caffeine

Caffeine is as dangerous and even more hazardous than chocolate towards dogs. This is because if consumed there is no antidote to reverse the effects. It can cause restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors and bleeding.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins have been given to dogs as a healthy treat. However, with further knowledge and research it has become known that raisins and grapes are dangerous towards dogs.

But there is no clear understanding why they are so hazardous. They can cause kidney failure, vomiting and within days your dog can become lethargic and depressed.

Milk & Dairy Products

On those hot summer days you might feel tempted to share you cool ice cream with your dog. However it may not be a very good idea because it can cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, digestive issues and allergies.

Macadamia Nuts

You want to make sure that your dog stays away from macadamia nuts because they are fatal. Digesting just a few can cause your dog to have muscle tremors, weakness, vomiting, high body temperatures and rapid heart rate. So stay away!

Gum & Candy

Gum and candy might be an exciting treat for children but is dangerous towards dogs. Candy and gum has Xylitol which causes an increase in the insulin that is circulating throughout your dog’s body. It can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure.

Chocolate

Chocolate is known to be toxic towards dogs by many pet owners. This is because of its toxic agent bromine. It can causes your dog to experience the following symptoms: vomit, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and in extreme cases death. If your dog happens to eat some chocolate make sure you take them to your vet as soon as possible.

Peaches & Plums

Peaches and plums are hazardous for your dog because of the large seeds that they can choke on.  In addition, they can cause inflammation of the small intestine and intestinal obstruction. Peaches and plums pits contain cyanide which is poisonous for dogs.

Raw Eggs

Raw eggs are something that you want to make sure you avoid giving to your dog. It has bacteria like Salmonella and E.Coli which are poisonous. In addition, the enzyme interferes with the absorption of Vitamin B.

However, if the egg is cooked it can be the perfect treat for your dog.